Upcycled Shirts to Baby Bibs

January 1, 2009

When my son was born, I had the biggest distaste for baby bibs.
I hated how “babyish” they looked, yet I knew how functional they were for drool, food, etc…
So, I came up with an alternative.
Bibs made out of upcycled shirts!So much better.

You can make these with either:
adult graphic tees

or toddler button down shirts
{You can use an adult men’s shirt, you just won’t be able to fit the cute pocket on the bib.}

Here’s how:
1. Download the bib pattern here and here.

2. Cut out the pieces.

3. Trace the pieces backwards onto separate sheets of paper.

4. Cut out the second pattern pieces except leave a small tab on the side of the bib piece and the bottom of the strap piece (shown below).

5. Tape together your bib pattern piece.

6. Cut your t-shirt down the side seams and lay it open on the table.

Do the same if you’re using a toddler shirt.  I usually look for 3T or 4T at the thrift store.

7. Place your pattern piece over the graphic you want to capture.
{You will have to fudge with the strap pieces.  It seems that neck holes on adult tees are too big, so the strap ends up a little thinner than the pattern piece.  This is upcycling afterall!}

With the toddler shirt, be sure cut around the collar.
Also, cut at least 3/4″ above and below any buttons so you don’t have to worry about sewing over them to finish the bib later.

8. Cut your bib out.
{Just do your best to shape the straps}

9. Now, use your shirt as the pattern piece to cut out the back of your bib.
Lay your bib upside down on top of the fabric you choose for the bib back, pin, and cut.
I use the super soft minky chenille you can find at fabric stores.
SO SOFT!

10. Keeping the right sides together of your two pieces, sew with a 1/4″ seam allowance all the way around.
Leave a small opening on the side of the bib to turn it inside out.

11. Turn your bib inside out and press out the seams.
Fold the opening in and pin it shut.

12. Sew around the entire bib with a 1/4″ seam allowance.
This is where you need to be careful of buttons getting in the way.

13. Cut a small strip of velcro and place it on the shirt side of one strap.

14. Sew around the edges of the velcro.

15. Place the other half of the velcro on top of the one you just sewed.

16. Overlap your straps and peel off the second piece of velcro (keeping it in place on the second strap of the bib).  Sew this piece of velcro on like you did the first.

17. You’re done!

These make such great baby gifts!
Please use this tutorial for personal use only.  Do not sell these bibs.

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

1 I Am Momma - Hear Me Roar November 15, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I saw these on UCreate. They are absolutely adorable! Great idea and tutorial. Thanks for linking this up. I also love that you donate 10% to those in need. You rock. Really.

Cheri

2 Leca Unplugged November 15, 2010 at 5:45 pm

I love this bib idea! Way to go with the donations! Your stuff is sooooo cute!

3 Elizabeth November 15, 2010 at 9:13 pm

So cute! Would love for you to come over and link up to Made with Love Monday at Sew Chatty! http://bit.ly/bSsG5b

4 Kathy December 9, 2010 at 6:41 pm

The link to the pattern is broken. Is there any way you could check on it as I would love to make some of these for gifts. Thanks!
cpjunkie@cox.net

5 Better Life Bags December 10, 2010 at 1:45 am

ok! The links are fixed – thanks for letting me know they weren't working!!

6 Amy (naptimecrafters) March 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm

You are the Friday Fav on Nap Time Crafters! Come grab a featured button and join the party:)
naptimecrafters.blogspot.com

7 My Urban Child August 18, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Love the Baby Bibs idea, its like baby just wearing a shirt.. really cool, thanks for the tutorial…

8 Virginia Celoria April 2, 2012 at 7:44 pm

What a great tutorial, so adorable! I love reconstructing boring t-shirts into something fabulous like this. I like it so much, I ended up including it on my blog… http://darlingadventures.com/?p=574
Thanks!

9 SHERRY July 19, 2012 at 10:54 am

Brilliant! I run a childcare and preschool and I get so tired of the cutsey, pastelly, cartoony stuff they make for babies and toddlers. This are adorable and attractive enough to have hanging around. ;) Came by from Roadkill Rescue. Come by P3 and say hi sometime!
Sherry

10 nancy ward February 7, 2013 at 8:49 am

In our Ward at church the young womens organization has a silent craft auction as part of their fund raising to pay for all the girls fees to go to camp and/or high adventure. The money all goes in one fund then is divided equally among all the girls, who choose to attend. This year we are doing An Evening in the Islands, the girls and leaders are learning 3 dances from diferent Polynesia to present as entertainment while serving a laua menu dinner, there will also be the traditonal fancy dessert auction and immediate gratification bake sale. Would it be acceptable if I used your pattern to make a few bibs from your pattern to donate, please. Nancy Ward, YW leader, Williamston Ward, Lansing Stake, Michigan

11 Rebecca February 7, 2013 at 11:42 am

Of course! Go ahead!

12 Rebecca February 26, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Oh my goodness – YES! Please do! Why did I not see this earlier? I hope you got the response in time!

Next post: